Let me first start with a disclaimer....I am NOT Italian! :) But, this simple sauce is delicious and so versatile that I wanted to share the recipe with you. Plus, it's fix approved!
- 14 tomatoes, peeled or 6 cans of whole tomatoes
- 2 cans of tomato paste
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- Fresh basil
- Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- If using fresh tomatoes, score the outside with a sharp knife. Cut out the spot where the stem attaches as well. Working in batches, place scored tomatoes into boiling water for 1 minute.
- Transfer tomatoes to an ice water bath and peel off skins. They should be easy to peel with your hands! Place into food processor to finely dice them.
- If using canned tomatoes, process them in a food processor as well.
- Add olive oil to a large stockpot and heat over medium-high heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent (5-6 minutes)
- Add in garlic and tomato paste. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes. Do not let the paste burn!
- Pour in red wine and stir constantly for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes, agave nectar, sea salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3-4 minutes. Stir to prevent burning on the bottom.
- Turn down heat, add basil and cheese and let simmer for 3-5 minutes. I let mine simmer much longer (30 minutes) to let flavors develop.
Serve over pasta, use in place of pizza sauce or freeze for later use! This recipe makes a LOT of sauce (my stockpot was 3/4 full). You can adjust it for how many tomatoes you have on hand. Others like to add in more basil, less salt, oregano, mushrooms, etc. You can tweak this how you like!
One cup of sauce is 2 greens and 1/2 tsp on the Fix!