- 12 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- One jar spaghetti sauce- we will use one cup of this (I used Wegman's brand since it doesn't have any added preservatives or sugar!)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- One white onion, diced
- Olive Oil
- Kale or spinach (optional)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (can leave out if you choose)
- Italian spices (salt, pepper, basil, oregano, garlic powder)
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken strips until no longer pink. Season chicken with Italian seasonings.
- Add diced onion to skillet and cook 3-5 minutes until transparent.
- Add one cup of spaghetti sauce, 2 1/2 cups of water and pasta to the skillet. Stir so that all of the pasta gets covered in the sauce.
- Turn heat to high and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir pasta so that each noodle has sauce on it. Add more water if it looks like it is drying out.
- Turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes until noodles are al dente.
- Stir in kale or spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mozzarella cheese and cook for 2 more minutes until melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
My kids and husband approved this meal! No complaints :) As an added bonus, it made enough for lunches tomorrow! Let me know what you think or what you would tweak below!